Best place to vacation in Spain
From bustling Barcelona to majestic Madrid and sunny Seville, Spain’s best-known cities are among the most popular tourist destinations in Europe, but the country also boasts a broad array of beautiful cities and towns that most travelers never see. While Spain’s diverse landscapes lend each city its own picturesque ambience, it’s the country’s long history that differentiates one town from another. Cities that had their heyday during the Spanish Renaissance are distinctly different from those occupied for centuries by the Moors or Visigoths. A tour of Spain’s less-visited cities gives travelers a unique look at Spain’s long and glorious past and offers a wide range of memorable travel experiences.
Located in central Spain, Salamanca owes its breathtaking beauty to the nearby sandstone quarries from which many of the city’s buildings were constructed. The glowing light that emanates from the stone at sunset has earned Salamanca the nickname “The Golden City.” A university town since 1218, Salamanca is still home to one of Europe’s finest universities. The city is filled with historic architecture, including the 12th-century Catedral Vieja and Casa de las Conchas, a 15th-century structure ornamented with hundreds of sandstone shells. Visits to Salamanca often begin at the Plaza Major, a Baroque square where students gather at all hours to eat, drink and sing. Their enthusiasm and confidence offer assurance that Salamanca’s future will be as bright as its golden past.
Nestled at the foot of Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains, Granada city is the provincial capital of Granada in Spain’s Andalucia region. Home to the fabled citadel and palace of Alhambra, the city offers visitors an intriguing glimpse of Spain’s Moorish history, which effectively ended when Ferdinand and Isabella marched through the city gate of Puerta de Elvira in 1492. With its exquisite ornamental architecture, bubbling fountains and lush gardens, the 13th-century Alhambra is a must-see attraction. An afternoon spent rambling among the white-washed buildings of the city’s old Muslim quarter is worthwhile as well. Sunset draws visitors to the Mirador de San Nicolás, a paved lookout where crowds gather each evening to watch the Alhambra glow red under the reflected light of the setting sun.
More on EscapeHere
- Choosing where to retire in the US can be very overwhelming – so many great options and factors to consider! Regardless of whether you’re seeking an action-packed retirement or looking
- Traveling for business or pleasure can easily derail your health and fitness regime.
- We have all wondered where those photographers get those stunning postcard prefect pictures of Italy, but wonder no more.
- So you want to learn how to surf? Let us be the first to tell you that it probably isn’t going to be easy, especially if you make the rookie
- If you combine luxury accommodations, fine dining and an incredible spa with epic views, you will be looking at some of the most luxurious spa resorts in Canada.
- Italy. Australia. Thailand. These popular destinations are on most everyone’s travel bucket list, and for good reason. They’re rich with history, vibrant culture and sensational food.
Africa & Middle East
- Italy is truly one of Mother Nature’s masterpieces, offering a geography boasting incredible landscapes- from the icy Alps to the volcanic craters to the turquoise waters.
- It is a curious, almost inexplicable sociological phenomenon, uniquely American. The fanatical devotion and big business of college and university sport is unmatched elsewhere in the world.
- It’s time to go back to the beginning of safaris, before there were 4×4 vehicles fighting for road space and before there were noises of horns and tires squealing.
Africa & Middle East
- Bangkok is an extremely cool city to explore and while we recommend taking the time to discover everything it offers, there are also some pretty epic day trips to take
- With hundreds of monuments, museums, and memorials to choose from, a visit to D.C. can quickly turn overwhelming as you try to cram everything in.
- Utter the word ‘France’ and everyone immediately thinks of Paris and although we aren’t downplaying the importance of the city and how grand it is, we do happen to think
- India is renowned throughout the world as a country with abounding traditional and cultural festivals because of the many different religions and cultures it has.
- When booking a vacation – and the subsequent packing that follows – there are plenty of things to get ready for.
- Canada is one of the safest places to visit, whether you are traveling in a group or alone and that bodes well for women who are looking to visit this
- When you start planning a vacation, the world is at your fingertips.
Africa & Middle East
- Most European waterways are not suitable for summer, due to health concerns, but that hasn’t stopped cities from inventing some pretty amazing urban beaches.