Students can earn 6 credits during this summer program to Ávila, Spain.
- ISU faculty accompanies students and teaches Introduction to Spanish Linguistics (11:30-2pm, Classes meet five days a week MTWHF) Ávila faculty teach Lengua y Cultura (9-11 am, MTWTF).
- The Lengua y Cultura course also includes two extracurricular activities per week in the afternoons
- Courses articulate as SPA 214: Conversation and Culture in Spain and SPA 215: Introduction to Spanish Linguistics at ISU
- If you have taken 214 at ISU, you may receive Spanish credit for 287.15 instead
- If you have already taken 215, please, contact the Faculty Director to inquire if an independent study can be arranged. Permission to enroll in an independent study is at the discretion of the Faculty Director
This program is set in Ávila, Spain, a medieval city in the province of Castile-León.
- Ávila is located approximately 70 miles northwest of Madrid and was founded in the 11th century
- This hilly city comprises of many forts, Romanesque churches and an authentic medieval atmosphere. For this reason, Ávila has been named a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Students will take their course at the Universidad de Salamanca – Ávila Campus.
- Universidad de Salamanca is considered to be the oldest Spanish university in existence, founded in 1218
- Universidad de Salamanca prides itself on the promotion, exaltation and diffusion of the Spanish language
- Avila will coordinate housing placements for students with homestays.
- Homestays include a room, 3 meals per day and laundry service
- Only one student will be placed with each family in an effort to speak Spanish as frequently as possible.